Updated: Apr 9
One of the first things I learnt when doing my Entrepreneurship and Innovation Masters (MA in London), is that you need to know your business core values and to make a successful business they should reflect your personal values. This is for two reasons, firstly the best way to promote a service or product is if you are passionate about it (people see your enthusiasm and believe in you). Secondly, you don't want to be a hypocrite, how can you sell a product or service and not act accordingly to the ethos or ethics?! Your business come from you so should be apart of you, this is what people will believe in and you don't want to fool them (that could go down the fraud root which is pretty serious and cause a business bad reputation). People like authenticity, they can relate to and this how you will find your perfect market. The people attracted to you and your services will become your customers. Remember that It's called 'core' because it represents the central point that everything should revolve around.
How are your business values and personal value related?
1) You need to know your own value and self worth before you can convince anyone to bye into your business. Work on yourself and know your value when setting your business USP (unique selling point).
This can go two ways, some people don't value themselves enough or the work they do and others let their ego get the better of them and don't match their business values. Either way your business will fail if you don't do the inner work first. Look inwards, analyse yourself and what's important to you before figuring out your business USP.
2) If you have a service and your always giving discounts, then you are devaluing yourself. Time and skills equal money. life is short so we should take time seriously, if your spending a lot of time on your business then credit your self for it.
3) Your actions have a cause and effect and you don't want to devalue your customers by being fake or not giving 100% of yourself to the service.
Overall, being a entrepreneur is a magical thing, you are creating a concept from the ground up; and if done right it is a extension of yourself, therefore you will never have to work another day in your life because you love what you do. It can be so rewarding to see the benefits of your hard work, seeing your business bloom into a real feasible product or service is remarkable and the best thing is it all came from you!
How do you know your core values?
1) Feeling - Ask yourself what you value in other people? Remember to treat people how you would like to be treated. How would you like someone to make you feel? Think of a feeling and transmit that into your vision.
2) Passionate - Is their a cause that you feel passionate about? Maybe you want to help peoples' wellbeing, maybe you want to stop pollution or maybe you want to create something visually beautiful. Which ever you choose, make sure it comes from your heart.
3) Action - What do you enjoy doing? If you have hobby or skill then most of the time you know a lot about the topic surrounding it or good at it.
Make a list of your personal qualities, it's a bit like applying for a job (lol). Are you good communicator, skilled, analytical, logistical, compassionate or good at empathising with people?
How can you improve your self worth?
This is a big question because it is something that takes constant work. There is no one answer fits all - But as a business woman and yoga teacher, my advise would be 'you were born worthy', it is only society and social conditioning that make you think otherwise. So remember that just being you is enough, don't let anyone put you down or convince you otherwise. Don't let anyone tell you that your too loud, too passionate, too bossy. Embrace your uniqueness and flaws, use them to your advantage and turn a negative into a positive - they don't call it unique selling point for no reason!
If you are thinking of setting up your own business or need some guidance on a existing one, I have a 4 week course to get you off the ground and on the right path - available in my services.